A Little Place Called China-Town

I grew up in a very small town on Long Island called Great Neck where everybody is exactly like everybody around them and everyone does the same thing day in and day out #WeedsIntro.  My dad works in the city in the Lower East Side and his favorite place to walk around and buy groceries is China-Town.  It was a very cold NYC Friday afternoon when my dad was rushing through China-Town to pick up some fresh salmon for Shabbat Dinner that night.

With all the commotion around him, he noticed something that caught his eye #CueSlowMusic.  It was a hot sauce bottle that had an O-U on it.  This is a small U with a circle around it that lets people know that something is kosher.  He was amazed to see something kosher in a market flooded with all kinds of seafood...pork... EVERYTHING! He quickly bought a bottle and headed back home.

This hot sauce turned out to be the best tasting hot sauce he ever had and his obsession began.  He wanted everyone he knew and loved to enjoy it with him.  The following Monday he went back to the store and bought 3 cases of it and personally delivered bottles to everyone's house; there wasn't one person in the family who didn't have a bottle in their fridge, and there wasn't one person who didn't love it.

A month later, I noticed the very same hot sauce popping up everywhere! It was in all the magazines, in all the trendy restaurants, and all over the FoodNetwork.  So I like to believe that my bald little 5'5" dad discovered this phenomenon before it even became a phenomenon.

I have been adding Sriracha to everything I eat since the day my dad brought the first bottle home.


2 comments:

  1. I still have a bottle from the original drop off! Aged to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://whatthekarp.blogspot.com/2013/03/monday-favorite-hot-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete